Now don't get me wrong, Safeway isn't the greatest grocery store ever. It does, however, have aspects that have blown the memory of Publix to smithereens.
- Their wine selection is as comprehensive as most Whole Foods stores.
- There is a decent selection of grab-and-go meals, and the quality/presentation of the food is great.
- If you want a sandwiches prepared for you, your don't have to have a sub. Think Panera's menu; it's analogous to that.
- Instead of musak, there is actual music being played throughout the store. I'm not saying that I'd like to work there and hear it 24/7, but it beats the hell out of elevator music.
- The store is open 24 hours, AND it doesn't look like it is.
Another bonus is that the employees aren't all surly and disconnected. When approaching an employee with a question, they actually acknowledge your presence and have manners, which is true in most places here. It has happened so often that I no longer think I'm being Punk'd!
After two years of creating menus and shopping for 20 girls in my house at Florida State, I loathe the grocery store. Thankfully, Conery does all that for us, but now I actually don't mind going with him.