Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Irvington Farmers' Market

On Sunday, we decided to check out the local Farmers' Market.  It's in a little neighborhood called Irvington which is a little over a mile from our place.  


The market had standard vending...vegetables and fruit.  There was also someone selling eggs.  I can only imagine that seeing eggs sitting out for the six hours of the market would have sent my Mom into inspection mode, and the place would have been shut down.  Ahhh the crap shoot that is street vending.  







After checking out all the options, we had a few sample of apples and oranges, but there was no coffee or breakfasty stuff to be found.  As we were heading back to the car, it started to sprinkle a bit, so we dipped under the Beckmann's Bakery tent for some samples.

The Beckmann's booth had a sign bragging that their pie crust won some sort of contest.  I think pie crust is one of the most magical things EVER, and I couldn't turn down the chance to try the best pie crust.  The sample we had was olallieberry, which is a a cross between a loganberry and the youngberry, each of which is itself a cross between blackberry and another berry (raspberry and dewberry, respectively).  The crust was pretty tasty, but the filling had a lot of seeds.  I made the executive decision to go with apple pie.  We also bought some tomato foccacia bread to go with breakfast.

I need to make note of Beckmann's contact
information in the event that the pie
is awesome, and I need more.
The recommendation on the pie box was to warm the pie in the oven for 15 minutes and serve.  The pie crust was worthy of the high praise being spouted.  It was flaky and moist, and the apple filling was totally the way to go.

I meant to post this yesterday in honor of Pi Day (3.14) along with a picture of the guy who invented Pi Day, but I was too busy celebrating by doing a bunch of math problems.  *heh*

He loves Pi(e)!





2 comments:

  1. Doing math problems, HA! That one really tickled me ;) Heard the pie was delicious, and when you two say it's the best it is outstanding! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know first hand how passionate I am about math and how persnickety I am about pie. Funny that those things should be homophones AND be at polar opposites on the Traci Like spectrum.

    ReplyDelete