Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pizza!? Now That's What I Call a Hamburger!

Today's entry into Blogtown is all about my lunchtime Thursday jaunt in the city. I had to go to the bank and the post office and also figured I'd find something to eat while I was out.

So I start my walk down Mission toward Market St. and on my way I passed the happiest homeless person ever. I've seen him several times and he's always smiling and friendly. He has a cup for change but he has never asked me for anything. Just says good morning, calls me captain, and tells me to have a nice day. I think I'll try to buy him lunch some day.

I continue walking and I get to Market and cross Mission toward the Powell Street trolley turnaround. I really need to take that journey again, it was pretty cool as I recall when Traci and I did it a few years ago (like ten). I passed the bank of ATMs outside and went into the building to discover that like many things in San Francisco, the actual business is below street level. That is super cool to me for some reason. Probably because basements in Florida are also known as pools, making a dry subterranean area novel.

From the bank, I continued up Powell to the post office. Here's where it starts to get interesting. Below is a video I shot on my iPhone of the nearest post office to the Chronicle building, about two blocks away.



In case your mind was totally blown, or in case you couldn't hear my voice on the video, that post office is in the bottom of a Macy's department store! I just imagine that it has been there for 50 years back when people mailed everything and was probably a boon to the employees who could offer to have a gift shipped immediately after purchase. I tried to find some history on it but all I discovered is that there are similar post offices in Macy's in Los Angeles and NYC. Neato!

After completing my mailing business, I moved on to try and find something for lunch. Pizza sounded good so I looked around and lo and behold, I saw a lighted marquee for PIZZA just down the street. I walked down there to discover that the place was called Burger House. As it turned out, I was more in the mood for a hamburger than pizza, especially when I saw that they use local grass-fed Neiman Farms beef. Inside, it looked like an old school lunch counter and there was another dining room next door. I sat at the counter and was greeted immediately. The woman took my order and I paid up front. I ordered the Cable Car Burger and she upsold me on some cheese fries. My local friends said I'd never find one in San Francisco, but they actually cooked my hamburger perfectly medium-rare! The Cable Car Burger comes with cheese (pepper jack I think), avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and red onion. It was juicy and ridiculously delicious. It was just what I was looking for.



As it turns out, Traci ended up picking up some gourmet pizzas from her new favorite place, Safeway which we cooked for dinner in our brand new oven so I ended up getting my pizza fix as well! I just love my lunchtime adventures and I hope to bring you more tales of them in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I love your lunchtime adventures. I thought my trek to Whole Foods was interesting but you win! :) Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete